Saturday, May 17, 2014

Preparing for the State Tests

Coming right out of our dream project in English class, it's been an abrupt shift to now start preparing students for the upcoming state tests. I tried to frame it as, "Now that you've just explored your dreams, I hope you've found a 'why' for you to do your best on the state test. Passing it will help you have more access to classes and programs that will help you pursue your dreams." I think some of them see that.

This year, my experience with the state tests is a bit different from previous years. As usual, my English students need to take it. However, I'm also co-teaching in two Algebra classes during the EL (English Learner) part of my day. We have a number of struggling students of Hispanic descent in those classes, and we've been working hard to get them caught up on all the necessary Algebra skills in addition to all the skills they should've developed before Algebra. Finally, in my role as an interim department head for the EL department, I've proctored a number of tests for retakers last fall and will be doing several different subject area tests this spring. I've had the chance to talk with seniors who are taking these tests for the umpteenth time and seen some of their resignation, desperation, and concern.

All of these experiences preparing students for and administering various state tests and talking with students about them has me thinking about them in new ways. And not just state tests but regular class tests, too. Recently, I've found myself slipping back into a common teaching mode that I did a good job avoiding during the dream project. It's a pretty common model in most classes I've visited: The teacher does most of talking and drives most of what happens during class, and the students are expected to comply and produce whatever the teacher designs and assigns.

I'm not a big fan of that model. I prefer having opportunities to come alongside students and help them as they pursue topics and products of their choosing.

So now, I'm trying to figure out for next year how to work alongside students in that way, not just during specially designated dream projects but during all parts of the year and curriculum. Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations for what to do or who to emulate would be great.

Thanks,
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment